Monday, May 5, 2014

Interview


Hello! Welcome back!

This time, its going to be a little different. Today's post is the interview.

Now before I dive right in, here's a little background information...

The person I interviewed was 16 year old Mickey. He lives in Sikkim and is currently is in school. I found Mickey while I was searching the "Lepcha" tag on Tumblr. He was really excited when I messaged him, and insisted that we talk on the phone, so he could practice his English on me. I was on board, until I realized that his English wasn't up to par. So forgive me, I tried interpret, to the best of my ability, what he said. 

(... after the formalities have been made)

Priya (P)- Anything interesting happening over there that you would like people to know about?

Mickey (M)- Everything is the same over here. People don't want the hydroelectric dams to be installed. People are going on hunger strikes, but nobody seems to care. 

(P)- That sounds scary, is it getting out of control? Is there violence as well?

(M)- Its not out of control. People just don't pay attention to the strikers anymore. No violence, just protest. 

(P)- Well its good that there's no violence involved... What is something that you like to do in your free time? 

(M)- After I have finished with my after school studies, there are many things I like to do. I like to hangout with my friends, or I like going on the Internet. My favorite websites are Facebook, Tumblr, and YouTube. 


...Our conversation lasted a couple more minutes, but the overall gist I got from it was that Mickey was a very excited 16 year old boy, who felt like he was getting his 15 minutes of fame. So here's to you Mickey, my new Lepchan  friend. 

Thanks for reading, as always
Next time: Cultural Survival

No comments:

Post a Comment